with Giannis Pita Bread
Falafel is delicious hot or cold so is an ideal filling for Pita bread – serve warm for a light meal or wrap and pack for a filling and delicious lunch.
- 4 Giannis Pita breads or pita pockets
- Pre made falafel mixture – available in the chilled section of supermarkets
- Oil for cooking the falafel
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- ¼ cup orange juice and a little zest
- 1 -2 tbsp runny honey – to your taste
- 3 cups salad leaves and other salad ingredients such as Lebanese cucumber, avocado, tomato..
Preheat the oven to 250°
Prepare the falafel; Falafel can be shallow fried in oil or oven baked – simply scoop the mixture using a teaspoon and using wet hands shape the mixture into small patties. If baking, brush or spray with a little oil and place on a metal tray in the hot oven till turning golden, alternatively heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry gently on each side until golden. Falafel can be re heated once cooked.
When the Falafel are cooked warm the pita slightly to make them flexible. Cut and fill the warmed pita with salad then tuck in two or three falafel and finish with a drizzle of the honey, orange and yoghurt dressing.
Cooks tip: This filling combines well with the nutty flavour of Wholemeal Pita bread too.